It’s FALL Y’all!!
Tired of being cooped up? Things are a little different this year with festivals and other public events being cancelled, but there are still fun, fall opportunities available for your family. Each year, thousands head to the North Georgia Mountains to visit apple orchards, corn mazes, horse stables, and more. Be sure to make a weekend of it so you can enjoy the fresh mountain air, changing leaves and making new family memories.
Ellijay is the heart of Georgia’s apple country and is safely nestled in the mighty Appalachian Mountains. From late August to December, roadside stands abound with the tastiest, tree-ripened mountain apples available. Buying direct means buying fresh.
In addition to a variety of apples, many of the orchards carry ciders, jams, relishes, honey and syrups. Visit georgiaapplefestival.org, under the tab “Orchards” for more information. Here are a few:
- B.J. Reece Apple House – 9131 Hwy 52 East – 706-276-3048; www.ReeceOrchards.com
- Hillcrest Orchards – 9696 Hwy 52 East – 706-273-3838; www.HillcrestOrchards.net
- Mack Aaron’s Apple House – 8955 Hwy 52 East – 706-273-3600; www.MackAaronsAppleHouse.com
- R & A Orchards – 5505 Hwy 52 East – 706-273-3821; www.RandAOrchards.com
- Red Apple Barn – 3379 Tails Creek Road – 706-635-5898; www.RedAppleBarn.com
Corn Mazes, Hayride and Pumpkins
A great outdoor family treat is a visit to a corn maze. This is also great fun for a school or church group. If there are several of you, divide into groups and make a game of it by seeing who can finish first, but NO cutting through the corn rows!
Burt’s Farm – 5 Burt’s Pumpkin Farm Rd, Dawsonville, Georgia 30534
At Burt’s Farm the pumpkin selection is vast and the quantity is never ending, as is the Indian corn, cornstalks and hay bales. Hayrides are pulled by John Deere tractors that take you through a winding trail filled with nature and beauty. Don’t forget to check the “barn” store for Burt’s fresh baked goodies. Visit www.BurtsFarm.com or call 1-800-600-BURT for more information and directions.
Uncle Shucks Corn Maze – 4520 Highway 53E, Dawsonville, Georgia 30534
The corn maze at Uncle Shucks is located on a 12 acre field of corn that has approximately 4 miles of trails; twisting and turning, and sometimes, coming to a dead end! There are also hayrides, food, and you can “Pick-Your-Own” pumpkin. Visit www.UncleShucks.com or call 1-888-OSHUCKS for hours of operation and directions. Haunted Maze during the month of October.
Need more adventure? Saddle up and take advantage of a glorious trail ride to see first-hand the natural beauty of fall in the North Georgia Mountains.
- Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa in Young Harris – 800-201-3205 www.BrassTownValley.com
- Gold City Corral in Dahlonega – 706-867-9395 www.GoldCityCorral.com
- Sunny Farms North in Dahlonega – 706-867-9167 www.SunnyFarmsNorth.com
- The Dillard House Stables in Dillard – 706-746-2038 www.DillardHouseStables.com
- Track Rock Stables in Blairsville – 706-745-5252 www.TrackRock.com
*The 2020 Georgia Apple Festival has been cancelled.*
**Please visit the websites to check COVID-19 protocols or appointment information.